Why do we baptize? Understand the importance of baptism in the Catholic Church.
The Necessity of Baptism:
Christ Himself ordered His disciples to preach the Gospel to all nations and to baptize those who accept the message of the Gospel. In His encounter with Nicodemus (John 3:1-21), Christ made it clear that baptism was necessary for salvation: “Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” For Catholics, the sacrament is not a mere formality; it is the very mark of a Christian, because it brings us into new life in Christ.
Age at Baptism:
· Children under 7 years of age are baptised according to the process outlined below.
· Children in grades 2 to 6 are prepared for Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist in the RCIC process.
· Youth in grades 7 to 12 are prepared for Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist in the RCIY process.
· Adults (age 18 and older) are prepared for Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist in the RCIA process.
Infant Baptism at St. Charles:
· Is celebrated on the 4th weekend of every month (except during Lent) at particular Mass times
· Is not celebrated outside of Mass
What you need to register:
· Copy of child’s Birth Certificate with both parents’ names on it
· Baptism date(s) of parent(s)
· Sponsor (godparent) for your child
The requirements for a sponsor (godparent) are:
· Over 16 years of age
· Cannot be the parent or legal guardian
· Actively practicing, mass-attending Catholic who has been Baptised and Confirmed, and who has received Eucharist
· One sponsor is sufficient, but two may be chosen (one male and one female)
How to register:
· Call the parish office (780-456-5399) to book a Baptism interview. Both parents must attend the interview.
· Year-round registration
· It is recommended that parents begin the baptism planning process during pregnancy or several months in advance of the anticipated baptism date to ensure availability.
· Fee: $25 for books and materials
· Parents will be registered for Baptism Preparation at their Baptism Interview.
· Godparents are strongly encouraged to attend as well
· If you are preparing for baptism in another parish but would like to register for our baptism preparation session, please contact our Pastoral Assistant at the parish office (780-456-5399) or by e-mail at Linda.Boire@caedm.ca.
Baptism Preparation is offered the first Sunday of the month (unless there is a holiday). Please call the Parish to register.
Baptism is celebrated at predetermined Mass times. There are no Baptisms celebrated during Advent or Lent. You MUST have met with the Pastoral Assistant and filled out all applicable paperwork before a Baptism can be celebrated.
Please note that we do not offer private Baptisms.
Our Baptism dates for 2018 are:
Saturday June 23, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday June 24, 2018 at 9AM
Saturday July 28, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday July 29, 2018 at 11AM
Saturday August 25, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday August 26, 2018 at 9AM
Saturday September 22, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday September 23, 2018 at 11AM
Saturday October 27, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday October 28, 2018 at 9AM
Saturday November 24, 2018 at 430PM
Sunday November 25, 2018 at 11AM